An ESS substitute teacher assists with classroom instruction in the absence of a regular teacher. This person follows and teaches lesson plans, aids students in understanding subject matter, and ensures that regular classroom routines are followed.
- Provide meaningful instruction to students in assigned classrooms while regular teacher is absent
- Review and implement regular teacher's routines, procedures, lesson plans, and curriculum objectives
- Establish and maintain a safe and orderly classroom environment
- Report any student injuries, illness, and serious discipline problems to school administration
- Perform other duties as directed by school administration
For a complete job description of a substitute teacher, click here.
- Certified - Valid NJ CE, CEAS, or Standard Teacher Certification
- Non-Certified - Minimum of 60 college credits needed to obtain substitute certification in NJ. Click here for info on how to obtain a substitute teacher certification in NJ. This process can take a few weeks, so please begin the process as soon as possible.
- Valid NJ criminal history letter
- Negative tuberculosis test obtained within 6 months of initial employment
For more information on New Jersey's requirements and processes, click here.